Published on Jul 1, 2014
As part of the ongoing Healthy Lives, Healthy Futures review of health and care services in Northern Lincolnshire, NHS North Lincolnshire Clinical Commissioning Group (NL CCG) and NHS North East Lincolnshire Clinical Commissioning Group (NEL CCG) have today launched a 13 week public consultation running from 30 June to 26 September 2014 to hear the views of residents about their plans for Hyper-Acute Stroke Services and ENT (ear, nose and throat) inpatient surgery. This is the first set of proposed service changes that requires public consultation. The next five to 10 years will see a number of similar consultations take place as we continue to make significant changes to services to ensure the delivery of safe, high quality and affordable services for the future.
Hyper-Acute Stroke care is treatment that should be given during the first 72 hours of someone suffering a stroke. It is important that patients receive the right medication and are monitored closely during these hours to ensure a better recovery. As a result Hyper-Acute Stroke care needs to be provided 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and to do this the specialist diagnostic services and skilled staff that treat stroke patients on a regular basis, need to be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) inpatient surgery is normally planned in advance. There are times, however, when a patient may need to have an emergency operation or a patient who has undergone a recent operation becomes poorly whilst still in hospital. For these situations it is essential to have qualified senior specialist ENT doctors available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The Healthy Lives, Healthy Futures review of Hyper-Acute Stroke and ENT inpatient surgery aims to improve patient experience and enhance the quality of care and facilities for all our local residents and both CCGs have developed a number of options for each of these services that offer this. During the consultation NEL CCG and NL CCG would like the community to give their thoughts on the proposed options to help shape the future of these two vital services.
Dr Margaret Sanderson, Chair, North Lincolnshire CCG explained: “We have worked with local clinicians and staff to develop four proposals each for both Hyper-Acute Stroke Services and ENT inpatient surgery. We do have a preferred option for each service that we believe will offer patients high quality, safe and superior services. However our proposals are just that, proposals. We are inviting members of the public to give their views and opinions to ensure the end result is two services that meet their needs.”
Dr Peter Melton, Chief Clinical Officer, North East Lincolnshire CCG said: “We know how passionate people are about their local NHS. We have already listened to public opinion and considered a number of important issues raised and discuss these in the consultation document. Now is the opportunity for everyone in Northern Lincolnshire to get involved again and share their views on our proposals. The main way is to read our public consultation document entitled Hyper-Acute Stroke Services and Ear Nose and Throat Inpatient Surgery in North and North East Lincolnshire and complete the survey. These are available in hard copy from local health services or on our website and I would urge everyone to take time to give us their views.”
There are a number of other ways in which people in Northern Lincolnshire can give their feedback. A series of roadshows will be taking place and 4 public events are planned where both CCGs will meet with the public, discuss all the options and their preferred proposal, listen to the public’s views and answer any questions.
If any community groups would like someone from one of the CCGs to attend their group or meeting to explain the options in more details, they can contact the engagement team on the details below.
- Tuesday 15th July , 1.30pm – 3.30pm – Barton upon Humber, Assembly Rooms
- Wednesday 16th July, 6.00pm – 8.00pm – Grimsby, Town Hall
- Tuesday 9th September, 6.00pm – 8.00pm – Scunthorpe Civic Centre
- Thursday 11th September , 6.00pm - 8.00pm – Immingham , Civic Centre
Roadshows in North Lincolnshire
- Wednesday 6th August , 10.00am – 1.00pm – Kirton Lindsey, Market Place
- Wednesday 6th August, 2.00pm – 4.00pm – Epworth, Market Place
- Thursday 7th August , 10.00am – 12.00pm – Winterton, Market Place
- Thursday 7th August, 1.00pm – 2.00pm – Barrow, High Street
- Thursday 7th August, 2.30pm – 3.30pm – New Holland, Barrow Road, (Near School Laane)
- Friday 8th August, 10.00am – 4.00pm – Brigg, Market Place
- Thursday 14th August , 10.00am – 12.00pm – South
- Killingholme, School Road (near Doctor’s Surgery)
- Saturday 6th September, 10.00am to 4.00pm – Scunthorpe, High Street
Roadshows in North East Lincolnshire
- Thursday 10th July, 10.00am – 4.00pm – Grimsby, The Bullring
- Thursday 14th August, 1.00pm – 3.00pm – Laceby, The Square
- Friday 15th August, 10.00am – 1.00pm – Cleethorpes/ Humberston – Tesco, Hewitts Circus
- Friday 15th August, 1.30pm – 3.30pm – Waltham, High Street (Near Co op)
- Monday 8th September, 10.00am – 3.00pm – Louth, Market Place
Roadshows in East Riding
- Friday 5th September, 10.00am – 4.00pm – Goole, Boothferry Road
For more information see website: http://www.healthyliveshealthyfutures.nhs.uk/