Latest News

Your Christmas Holiday Healthcare Needs covered this Festive Season

Over the Christmas and New Year bank holidays your GP practice will not be open, but there's still expert advice and treatment available if you or a member of your family becomes ill or injured during the holiday season.

If it’s not an emergency but you need urgent health advice then you should contact NHS 111 which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 111 or go online at where trained advisers will assess the situation and what you need. They will give you advice and information, direct you to the appropriate service for your need or connect you with a health professional for further treatment.

If people have COVID symptoms such as a cough, high temperature or a change to their sense of taste or smell they should stay at home and arrange a PCR test as soon as possible. We also recommend people get a PCR test for other respiratory symptoms such as a sore throat or what feels like a heavy cold.

LFT (lateral flow) tests are mainly intended for routine testing at home when you do not have any symptoms and are not feeling poorly. Especially during the Festive Season when people may be socialising indoors more, you should use one before you meet up with other people and if you get a positive result then you must cancel your plans, self isolate and book a PCR test.

Find out more Coronavirus (COVID-19) - NHS (

Most people do not need professional help for minor ailments and a lot of minor illnesses can be treated at home with what you have in your medicine cabinet or first aid kit if you are out and about, or by getting advice from a pharmacy about over the counter medicines. The NHS website is full of trusted information and advice and you can search for your ailment by visiting

A number of pharmacies will be open over the bank holidays to provide expert advice on treatment and essential medicines for minor health issues. You can find out which local pharmacies these are via this link Pharmacy Christmas Opening Hours. The information is correct at the time of publishing, but please check with the pharmacy before making a special journey.

Emergency services are operating as usual, but you should only go to A&E or dial 999 in a real emergency - if you are badly hurt, seriously ill, or if you have been advised to go there by NHS 111, your GP, or a pharmacist. 

Feeling Poorly? Help choosing the most appropriate NHS service in North East Lincolnshire • NHS North East Lincolnshire CCG

During the festive season support is available 24/7 with a dedicated mental health support service

(01472) 256256 option 3 or freephone 08081 968442

Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week offering support to all ages across North East Lincolnshire. The service also offers fast-tracked support to NHS and care home staff during the pandemic

When should I visit A&E?

A&E (or 999) is for when someone:

• is unconscious
• has severe chest pain
• has a fever and is persistently lethargic despite having paracetamol or ibuprofen
• has a head injury and vomiting
• has heavy blood loss
• is having difficulty breathing (breathing fast, panting or are very wheezy)
• has severe abdominal pain
• has a cut that won’t stop bleeding or is gaping open
• has a leg or arm injury and can’t use the limb
• has swallowed poison or tablets
• has an object lodged in nose or ear.

Or if you have been advised to by NHS 111, your GP or a pharmacist.

<< Go back to the previous page