Managing asthma in cold weather
Practical tips for managing asthma in cold weather:
- Carry your reliever inhaler with you at all times and, if you have one, keep taking your regular preventer inhaler as prescribed by your doctor.
- If you need to use your inhaler more often than usual, or use more puffs, speak to your doctor about reviewing your medication.
- Keep warm and dry - wear gloves, a scarf and a hat, and carry an umbrella.
- If sudden changes in temperature - like stepping from a warm house onto a cold street - trigger your symptoms, try wrapping a scarf loosely over your nose and mouth before you go out. This will help to warm up the air before you breathe it in.
- Try breathing in through your nose instead of your mouth, as your nose is designed to warm the air as you breathe it in.
Further information can be found here https://www.asthma.org.uk/advice/triggers/weather/