Holidays: Tickets, Passports … Repeat Prescription?

Whether it’s arranging travel insurance or booking airport parking, there are lots of things to remember to make your summer holiday go smoothly.

With so much going on, it is easy to overlook another holiday essential - ordering your repeat prescription. However, running out of important medicine when you are away from home can lead to inconvenience, expense or even a real health emergency.

Doctors are urging people who need to take medicine regularly to make sure they have enough supplies for their holiday. Even if you are going on holiday in this country, Out of Hours GP services and the Emergency Department are not the right places to go for regular prescriptions.

Dr Sudhakar Allamsetty, Scartho GP and Prescribing Lead with North East Lincolnshire CCG, advised: “The days before you go on holiday can be a tremendously busy time, and you often end up having to do everything at the last minute.

“Please just take a minute to check whether you need to re-order your repeat medication; usually surgeries need about two working days to process a repeat prescription. While you’re at it make sure you have stocks of over-the-counter remedies as well so that you can easily take care of yourself if you suffer a minor illness or injury during your holiday.”

Whether you are holidaying in the UK or abroad, packing a ‘self-care kit’ means you can look after yourself or a family member if someone grazes a knee or has a mild stomach upset.

Advice on what to include in your kit can be found on NHS Choices -

Dr Allamsetty added: “If you are holidaying in the UK, please remember that the Emergency Department (A&E) is for serious accidents or serious illnesses only, such as severe bleeding, chest pain or loss of consciousness. It is not there for mild illnesses, or to give out routine medicines to people who have forgotten to order them.  

“If you are travelling in the UK outside of North East Lincolnshire and have an urgent health problem which is not a 999 emergency but you are not sure what to do, my advice is to call the NHS 111 service.”

<< Go back to the previous page